Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Doggone Menu


As I was browsing through CNN's website in search of something to blog about this week, the headline "Saving Dogs from Chinese Menu" caught my eye as i began to chew and swallow the Chinese meal that I was eating. A sense of guilt seemed to find it's way down my esophagus as well; even though I was not consuming dog (or at least I hope not) I did begin to remember the major cultural differences shared between the United States and Asia. I believe my father did eat dog at one point during a business trip to Korea... But regardless, the article about the puppies grasped my attention better than all the bloodshed and political wars that have been going on in the world so, I read on.

According to Erica Ho of CNN online, last Friday afternoon saw a standoff between animal rights activists and a determined truck driver in China's capital city, Beijing. While driving by the truck loaded with +100 dogs inside, a nearby driver pulled out in front of the truck to stop it and eventually held it there while he contacted local animal rights associations to come and remove all the eager cargo to safety. By buying the animals for almost $18,000, over 500 dogs were saved from being on the dinner menu.

It was also observed that most dogs were collared with name tags, sadly indicating that many could have been and or were abducted from their rightful owners, stowed away to become tomorrow's lunch special. Especially in season now, dog meat is said to "promote bodily warmth" in colder seasons and to be extremely healthy. Crocodile meat is extremely healthy too but you don't see truck loads of them being shipped around China now do ya?

Anywho, Local news reported that the truck transporters wouldn't be facing any charges because they were licenced and and legally permitted with all the right paper work. In addition to there being little to no Animal rights protection laws in China, I guess it'd be safe to say "don't shoot the messenger."

No comments:

Post a Comment