Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Homecoming Dance: Part 2

So as previously discussed, homecoming week was....debatably alright. DEBATABLY. As for the dance? I remember like it was yesterday...

It all started maybe 3 weeks before the homecoming dance. I had a glorious vision (and as it turned out, apparently too demanding of one) in my mind about how my junior year homecoming dance was going to be. My friends and i would go out to dinner as a group, head to the dance, and perhaps if we were lucky enough -to attend an after party later that evening.

Now before i continue, I'm sure everyone have had their run-ins with the infamous MURPHY'S LAW. You know, the one about if anything bad/unexpected could happen, it probably will? Yep. That fell right in line with my homecoming fantasy. One friend was going to be "conveniently" out of town, the other didn't want to go if they didn't have a date, the other already had a date, the other just flat out said N.O., and the other said eh.....i don't want to intrude on you and your date. So will all this in play, it just ended up being me and my date. AND THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT IT WAS A MOST GLORIOUS EVENING AND WE HAD A BLAST AND A MOST WONDERFUL TIME AND I ADORED FINALLY SPENDING TIME WITH THEM AFTER OUR EXTREMELY HECTICS SCHEDULE KEEP US OCCUPIED. SO YEAH. DON'T HATE. Anywho, i began to think as i was getting dressed for my night out about the reasons my Friends gave me. Okay, going out of town is acceptable i guess...to a point. But not wanting to go because you don't have a date or because you just didn't want to or you didn't want to go with someone as friends just doesn't equate up to a rational notion to me.

1) It's a high school tradition! YOU WILL NEVER GET THIS OPPORTUNITY AGAIN! well okay next year, but then would you even go if this same situation reoccurs?
2) YOU. HAVE. A. DRESS. A NEW  DRESS. A DRESS THAT YOU PROBABLY SPENT A GOOD CHUNK OF CHANGE ON. WHY. DON'T. YOU. WANT. TO. SHOW. IT. OFF?
3) Okay so no one asked you. Big deal. go in a group with friends! It is less awkward to bust a move with your friends that it is to with your date. (although this one doesn't apply to me....i bust a move even when I'm not at a dance)
4) what is the big deal with over-dramatizing the idea of a "dance"? It is one big stinking social gathering. Granted, yes, people are practically engaging in certain unethical procedures, but minus that (unless that's your thing...) dances are just a place for friends to all sweat together in their nice fancy clothes dancing around like wild chimpanzees for four hours. Who wouldn't love that!?
5) Okay no but for real you're just going with your friends to a fun party with lots and lots of people. why would you miss an opportunity to do that? you don't have an "official date"? you don't want to dress up? you're going to feel awkward there? WELL SUCK IT UP. Have some school spirit for crying out loud! I mean we could use as much as we can get considering how pathetic our spirit week was....

2 comments: